How To Prevent Fleas And Ticks
Fleas and ticks thrive in any climate, and Malaysia’s humid weather is the perfect breeding ground for these pests. Fleas and ticks prefer humid and shady environments, especially areas with woods, shrubs, weeds, and tall grasses. They can be carried by different kinds of wild animal hosts such as birds and rodents.
The flea is a parasitic insect, which feeds on the blood of animals and humans, while the tick is an arachnid (just as spiders, scorpions, and mites are) that is also parasitic. While ticks cannot jump like fleas, they will seek out and latch onto any unsuspecting host that walks by.
Fleas and ticks can cause three specific problems:
1. The bites of fleas and ticks can cause discomfort and skin irritation, and in some cases they can trigger severe allergic reactions in humans and pets.
2. Fleas and ticks can both transmit disease and cause illness in pets and in humans. Some of these diseases can be life-threatening and others can cause severe and chronic illnesses.
3. Your home can get infested and you might need to call a professional exterminator, which can be very costly.
Preventing fleas and ticks is important as it keeps your pets and family healthy and free from diseases spread by the parasites.
Get a head start on flea and tick prevention by being proactive and taking the following steps:
Keep your home clean:
• Wash bedding, rugs and pillows weekly
• Vacuum all of the furniture and floors
• Keep your plants trimmed
• Sweep up fallen, decaying leaves
• Mow your grass often to keep it short
Check your pet every day:
- Make it a daily routine to check your pet’s ears, head, neck, belly, sides, back, and around the tail
- Pay special attention to the paws and between the toes.
- Work on your pet’s fur with a flea comb
- Check your pet’s skin for fleas and ticks
When you find a flea or tick, remove it as soon as possible to reduce the risk of your pet contracting a flea or tick-related illness.
Wondering which flea or tick treatment is the best option for your pet? Consult your local veterinarian for advice to ensure your pet receives the best treatment. If you need a ride to the pet clinic, JoJo Pets can help! JoJo Pets is a pet taxi service in Malaysia which provides safe and timely pet transportation. Let us know if you have any questions. Book a ride with us today!
JoJo Pets also offers cashless payment with their JoJo Wallet, including all major e-wallets, credit/debit card as well as online banking.